IT'S HALLOWEEN and to celebrate, here at SONAS Bathrooms we're checking out the creepiest movie scenes that have taken place in the bathroom. If you ask us, it's the most relaxing room of the house. You can lock the door and hide away from the chaos and noise of the home, unwind with a gorgeous bubble bath or let off some steam in the shower. Movie makers, on the other hand, seem to think the bathroom is an ideal place to scare the socks off someone. Here are some of the scariest scenes from the silver screen that are set in the bathroom…Trick or treat!
- Scream 2 (1997): Although this movie induces almost as many giggles as frights, there's a gruesome bathroom scene that would definitely make you want to avert your eyes. One of the characters is hiding out in a bathroom and puts his ear to the door to listen out for the creepy man behind the mask and he's stabbed in the ear for his troubles. Gruesome.
- What Lies Beneath (2000): This must be one of the few movies where Harrison Ford plays a bad guy. His on-screen wife, played by Michelle Pheiffer, thinks she's going mad and has been seeing the reflection of a woman's face in the water of the bath. It turns out that that her husband is a cheating murderer and the ghost of the woman he killed is trying to communicate with her. In a terrifying scene, Ford's character sedates her and tries to drown her in the bath. The tension in the movie as the water slowly rises above her nose and up to her eyes is unreal.
- Poltergeist (1982): This film is as old as some of the people reading this but who could forget the gruesome bathroom scene when the male character looks into the mirror? He's just run from the kitchen to escape a ghastly, oozing steak that was slithering across the counter, only to see his face peeling off in front of his very eyes. Big popping eyeballs, an exposed skull, blood and gore - utterly terrifying.
- Nightmare on Elm Street (1984). "One, two Freddy's coming for you," is a creepy tune that definitely haunted anyone who grew up in the 80s and 90s. Freddy Kruger - who attacked when his victims were sleeping and had claws instead of fingers - was the monster figure that was everyone's worst nightmare. The disturbing image of his razor sharp slasher fingers emerging from the suds as the character Nancy falls asleep in the bath was spine tinglingly terrifying.
- The Shining (1980) "Heeeeeere's Johnny" is possibly one of the most famous movie quotes out there and it's from this classic Stephen King adaptation. A family move to a hotel after dad Jack - who's also trying to finish writing his novel - gets a job as the caretaker during low-season. It turns out that the hotel is haunted and Jack becomes possessed - leading to a terrifying ordeal for his wife and child, who have to hide out in the bathroom to get away from him. Undeterred by a locked door though, he takes an axe to it…."Heeeere's Johnny!"
- Psycho (1960) by the master of suspense, Alfred Hitchcock, has one of the most iconic bathroom scenes and it takes place just half an hour into this horror classic. While enjoying a nice shower, the main character, Marion, sees a mysterious shadow appears outside her curtain. Next thing we know, there's a massive knife and the screaming and the blood letting follows. It'd definitely leave you feeling jumpy the next time you're having a shower.